The Unity Transport package (
com.unity.transport) is a low-level networking library for multiplayer game development.
Unity Transport seamlessly supports all platforms the Unity Engine supports thanks to a connection-based abstraction layer (built-in network driver) provided over UDP and WebSockets.
You can set up both UDP and WebSockets with or without encryption. The following illustration shows encrypted connections with a closed padlock and unencrypted connections with an open padlock.
You can also use pipelines to leverage additional functionality, such as reliability, packet ordering, and packet fragmentation.
Get started with Unity Transport
See the Installation guide if you’re new to Unity Transport. If you’re upgrading from a earlier version of Unity Transport, see Migrating from 1.X. Check the Compatibility with Unity Editor versions table to ensure your Editor version is compatible with Transport 2.X or 1.X.
Main Features of Transport 2.0
- Addition of WebGL: Transport package can now be used for all Unity Engine supported platforms.
- Transport users now have access to our Websocket transport implementation, with or without TLS. It is supported on every platform as Client or Server and for WebGL as Client only.
- Players on the go can now benefit from a transparent network migration, typically across cell towers. The feature is currently limited to client side and for UDP transport.
- The integration with Relay more is straightforward thanks to a new set of API that are now abstracting some boiler plate code.
- Added support for com.unity.logging package. If the package is installed, logs will go through its default logger instead of the classic UnityEngine.Debug mechanism.
Compatibility with Unity Editor versions
Based on your Unity Editor Version
|Unity Editor Version||Transport 1.X||Transport 2.X|
|2022.2 and LTS||Yes||Yes|
Based on your Netcode Solution working with Transport
|Unity Editor Version||Netcode for GameObjects 1.2.0 +||Netcode for Entities 1.0.0 +||Custom Solutions|
|2020 LTS||Transport 1.X||N/A||Transport 1.X|
|2021 LTS||Transport 1.X||N/A||Transport 1.X|
|2022.2 and LTS||Transport 1.X||Transport 2.X||Transport 2.X|
|Next||Transport 2.X||Transport 2.X||Transport 2.X|
Requirements for Unity Transport 2.X
- Install Unity Editor version 2022.2 or later.
- Install the
WebGL only supports Unity Transport WebSocket connections in client mode.
Unity Transport (the
com.unity.transport package) is separate from the NetworkTransport abstraction in Netcode for GameObjects.